Happy Pancake Day! We all get quite enthusiastic about Pancake Day and the shops stock up on those ready mixes and bottled lemon juice (yuck), but if we really liked them so much we’d be making them all the time. Well, once you try this boozy Black Forest pancake recipe you probably will be.
In fact how about whipping up a batch of these for breakfast in bed this Valentine’s Day? You can’t go wrong with booze, chocolate and cream really can you?
If you really want to you can forgo the booze but the Luxardo cherries make a huge difference (and contain no alcohol), don’t use those part candied bright red ones that taste mostly of sugar. Find the Luxardo Marasca cherries and any you don’t use in the pancakes taste amazing in cocktails.
For the pancake mix:
- 160g plain flour
- 4 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- small pinch sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 200ml milk
- 50ml Luxardo cherry liqueur or kirsch
- Butter for frying
For the syrup:
- Luxardo cherries plus some of the syrup from the jar
- 50ml Luxardo cherry liqueur
- fresh cherries
- finely grated dark chocolate
- Combine all the dry pancake ingredients together in a bowl and mix well then add the wet ingredients and whisk together.
- Mix together the syrup ingredients.
- Whip the double cream until if forms soft peaks.
- Heat your pan and melt the butter, pour in some pancake mix and cook on a medium-high heat. When the bubbles pop through the surface carefully turn the pancake over and cook briefly. Repeat with the remaining pancakes.
- Assemble by starting with a pancake, top with cream then syrup and repeat. Decorate with fresh cherries and freshly grated chocolate.