Would you believe that nearly 30 million Americans do some form of crochet or knitting each year?
When we heard this staggering figure we reached out to some of the most enthusiastic crochet fans we know and asked them what the best way to get started with crochet would be?
These crochet kits are their top recommendations so check them out!
Lion Brand Yarn One & Done Kits
If all you want is a single self-contained project, you can’t go wrong with this Lion Brand kit which will see you create your first scarf with less than a day’s work!
It contains absolutely everything you need to carry out the work including yarn, needle, pattern, and crochet hook.
1. Good value product which is easy to make
2. The yarn included is quality, name brand yarn
3. Everything you need is in the box
1. Not much choice of colors
2. Only one crochet hook provided
3. Once the set is finished, there’s not much to put toward future projects
Susan Bates Learn Crochet! Kit
If you’re left handed, we suggest you start with Susan as she’s the only one to include instructions for people of either dominant hand.
It comes with all the kit you need to create projects but you have to buy yarn separately.
The 15 projects contained in the kit are very easy to follow.
1. A nice beginner kit which caters to left handers
2. The booklet of instructions is great
3. We like the explanation of the basic stitches very much
1. No yarn!
2. The scissors included are meh and need replacing fairly quickly
3. Some users say they find the instructions too complicated
Boye Learn to Crochet Arts and Crafts Kit with 15 Projects and Supplies
This kit even has a DVD in it so that you can watch the instructions being performed if you can’t follow the booklet!
The stitch markers are a really useful tool for beginners and the kit is built to last beyond the 15 projects that it teaches.
1. Excellent kit with a good number of crochet hooks and tools
2. The projects are awesome and have great instructions
3. It’s good value for money
1. There’s no yarn!
2. Some users still found the instructions hard to follow
3. Consumable supplies are used up very quickly
BCMRUN LED Crochet Hooks Set
This is a really good starter kit which has a very nicely designed crochet hook which is meant to reduce any possible discomfort when crocheting.
The hook light is a nice addition to the bag too and it can operate for up to 8 hours between charges and it only takes 15 minutes to charge.
1. Everything you could possibly need (except yarn) in one kit
2. Very good quality products that should last a long time
3. Comes with a nice storage bag
1. No yarn in the box
2. Not very good for left handed folks due to the locking function on the hooks
3. The hook tips are a bit fragile
Ultimate Acrylic Mini Yarn Bundle
If you really just want to buy one kit to get started with crocheting and you want to make a few things before you go supply shopping, this is the kit for you.
It has tons of yarn, a storage bag, crochet hooks, needles and instruction books galore, in fact, the only issue here is that there’s so much stuff, it might take a little while to understand it all.
1. Extraordinary value for money with 60 yarn skeins
2. Plenty of projects included to work on
3. All needles, hooks, etc. are included
1. The storage bag is a bit flimsy
2. The projects are provided as e-books (7 of them) which may not be ideal for some
3. The projects are all quite small and unambitious
Final Thoughts On The Best Crochet Kits for Beginners
So, there you have it, if you intend to join the 28+ million Americans that crochet, these kits offer an easy way to get you started.
If you’re looking for other things to do as well as crocheting, why not learn to weave a basket, or to dye a t-shirt?
Or you could check out these online craft stores for even more ideas!
*Affiliate Disclosure: We may be compensated if you purchase through affiliate links on this site. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.